Friday, May 30, 2008

Always There!

I just had a wonderful experience that I had to record for my own journal. Last night I was pretty down as I thought about this whole house thing. I just feel overwhelmed by all that we have to do and the light at the end of the tunnel is no where in sight. It is so easy for me to sit and pout. However, this morning I had a gentle reminder that our Savior is always there for us and we are never alone. We had a huge pile of "stuff" piled in front of our garage that we needed to discard of, but had no idea how or when we were going to. We had carpet rolls, carpet pad, boxes of junk that we shouldn't have even moved with us, a box spring mattress, and lots of empty boxes. It was starting to look pretty bad and I was starting to worry someone might say something to us. While I was outside breaking down other boxes in the backyard, the kids came out to tell me the garbage man wanted to talk to me. The garbage man?? Sure enough, the garbage man had parked his truck out front and wanted to know if I needed help getting rid of our pile of junk. Really??!! He was SO nice and loaded everything, including the mattress. He said his company usually makes him charge for each bulk item, but he didn't mind. He refused to take any money from me. I thanked him a million times and then came inside and cried. It may seem really silly and meaningless to you, but what a huge burden this lifted off my family. I truly have no idea what we were going to do with the stuff otherwise. He told me that he would be happy to take anything anytime...which is so great because we are getting ready to tear out our countertops! I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father and I know Jesus Christ lives.

P.S. I just have to tell you more about our neighborhood...Last night a couple was walking up and down our street carrying wine glasses drinking as they talked to all the neighbors. Isn't that the funniest thing? See what I mean about feeling like I am living on a TV set or a resort?

3 comments:

Ryan and Ashley said...

Cathy--thanks for sharing that! It made my cry. :( What a kind, kind man!

Melissa said...

Yeah! I've been wondering about you guys. I thought about calling, but wondered if you were still up to your eyeballs in projects, and it sounds like you are. I'm so happy that your neighborhood is fabulous... it seriously makes all the difference in the world. We often had regrets about moving away from everyone in 2nd ward, but then we look outside the window and see all the awesome neighbors and that regret quickly goes away. They are the lucky ones though to have you all as neighbors. Can't wait to come visit!

Rob and Heather said...

Oh... it does sound like you have so many wonderful people around you. Your neighborhood should be nominated for the "Best Neighborhood in the Country" Award. Do they have an award for that? Anyhow i agree it is so amazin when we can see our Saviors love.