Monday, May 12, 2008

Getting prepared!

This past weekend I held a canning party in my garage. For those of you who have no idea what that means, our church encourages preparedness and self-reliance. One way to be prepared for a period of unemployment, financial difficulties, loss of electricity, being snowed in, or soaring food prices, is to store some food away. One of the best ways to do this is to "can" it so that the food is preserved for a really long time (some foods will last 30 years when canned) and is insect and moisture-proof. Their were 21 people who ordered food with a total of 700 cans of food to be canned in my garage. It was stressful fun, if that makes any sense. I love the fact that so many people have some food stored away for a rainy day, but I am so glad my garage is empty again considering I am in the middle of packing for our big move next week. I would do the whole weekend over again in a heartbeat though! I was really worried about how long it was going to take us to finish all 700 cans, but we got done in record time thanks to the Baker's (that's them above). You rock!

The beautiful finished product!

Here we are half-way done as you can see the empty pallet in the front. That one was full of cans when we started. It was quite fun explaining this whole thing to my neighbors who both came to see what in the world we were doing. They were very curious, but I bet they are wishing they had some food stored away now too!

6 comments:

Ryan and Ashley said...

Canning was so much fun! I am glad that we did it. Thanks for letting us stay!

Jami said...

Cathy you are so impressive!!! I can't believe you held a canning party, pregnant and all! Wish I could have been there!

Borders Family said...

Jami, You crack me up! I am totally not pregnant...unless you know something I don't know. I think your prego hormones are making you think everyone is pregnant, kind of like double vision or something :)

Jami said...

Okay, so it's because I read your comment wrong on MY blog. I thought you were saying your were only half way and bigger than me...I'm retarded, I'm sorry! Sorry, if I start any awesome rumors!

Jessica Y. said...

Oh am I glad I came back to read these comments!!
Way to keep blogging interesting ladies!

Cathy this is a HUGE undertaking! Way to go! My arm hurts just looking at that canner.I can only imagine what your neighbors thought was going on in your garage!

Borders Family said...

Jessica, You know I can't get pregnant until you do. That was the rule! Just kidding, I have no idea whether there is another waiting for us or not.