USA Today came out today with a story about a five-month investigation of pharmaceutical drugs in the water supply of several major U.S. cities, including Louisville. Traces of many drugs including ones for pain, epilepsy, mental illness, high cholesterol, and heart problems were found in our water supply. This is not a surprise to water treatment facilities who know this to be true, but don't publish the information. The drug amounts are very small, but research with animals has shown detrimental effects over time when exposed to this water supply. What does that mean for us? Nothing good I am positive, but what can we do about it? Here's a quote from the article, "We know we are being exposed to other people's drugs through our drinking water, and that can't be good," says Dr. David Carpenter, who directs the Institute for Health and the Environment of the State University of New York at Albany. If you are wondering where the drugs are coming from, they are traces of the drugs people take and then urinate into our sewer systems, which are then unable to be completely cleaned out of the water by the water treatment facilities. You have absolutely got to read the whole story at http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-09-water_N.htm
"There is no tomorrow to remember if we don't do something today." ~President Thomas S. Monson
Monday, March 10, 2008
Alarming News about Louisville's Drinking Water
USA Today came out today with a story about a five-month investigation of pharmaceutical drugs in the water supply of several major U.S. cities, including Louisville. Traces of many drugs including ones for pain, epilepsy, mental illness, high cholesterol, and heart problems were found in our water supply. This is not a surprise to water treatment facilities who know this to be true, but don't publish the information. The drug amounts are very small, but research with animals has shown detrimental effects over time when exposed to this water supply. What does that mean for us? Nothing good I am positive, but what can we do about it? Here's a quote from the article, "We know we are being exposed to other people's drugs through our drinking water, and that can't be good," says Dr. David Carpenter, who directs the Institute for Health and the Environment of the State University of New York at Albany. If you are wondering where the drugs are coming from, they are traces of the drugs people take and then urinate into our sewer systems, which are then unable to be completely cleaned out of the water by the water treatment facilities. You have absolutely got to read the whole story at http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-09-water_N.htm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Cathy, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'm not sure I want to read about the drugs and urine that I drink. Can you blame me? Guarantee in LA I've got mucho crappo to deal with so i pretend that's not the case for four years and then I leave.
I think they need to do a study next on cities with the most drug usage... Apparently Louisville is high on that list.
I saw this on the national news last night. ICK!!! It makes me mad when people knowingly do things without considering the results.
BTW - LOVE LOVE LOVE that ticker! You go girl! You are motivating me to not give up!! :o)
The highest percent comes from people flushing un-used meds,not from urine. TAKE UN-USED meds to the pharmacy that you got them from.
Post a Comment