St. Patrick's Day was a very big deal at our house this year. Owen was determined to catch a leprechaun. He talked on and on about all the wishes the leprechaun would grant him. He talked about it for days to the point where I was worried sick about how he was going to react when he didn't actually catch a leprechaun. He built a fool-proof leprechaun trap (the shoe box in the picture) and checked on it hourly for days leading up to St. Patrick's Day. He was sure there was no way a leprechaun could escape. There was a tiny pot of gold in the shoe box to tempt the leprechaun inside. Owen could not believe there was school on St. Patrick's Day because it was that big of a holiday to him. He did not think there was anyway he could go to school because he was going to have a leprechaun to take care of.
I debated about what to do for the poor kid. He has never been into a holiday like this before and I thought for sure his heart was going to be broken when his long thought out plan didn't work. I wondered if I should go and buy a baby turtle or frog for him. I thought maybe having something to take care of would distract him from not having a real leprechaun. After much worry and praying (yes, it was that serious because this is Owen we are talking about), I felt prompted to go and buy lots of green treats for him to leave by his trap as if they were from the leprechaun. Trenton had me add a note that said, "Nice try" on the trap. Miraculously, it worked!! Owen woke up an hour earlier than he normally does and ran down to check his trap. He was so excited to find all the green presents. He could not believe the leprechaun got away, but having presents made him happy. He said to me several times that day that leprechauns are a lot smarter than he thought. Love that kid!
Dallin loved showing everyone the leprechaun on his shirt. I meant to get a picture of them all together with the mini hats on, but life got in the way. Better luck next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment