I normally like to post only positive things on my blog, but I thought I would post about my night last night so that I don't have to tell the story over and over to all my family. Nathan was (is) out of town last night, so I did my usual stay up as late as I can take it so that I don't have to go to bed alone. I was inventorying my food storage and making out an order for more food storage. When I finally decided to go to bed I decided to check the news because the thunderstorm outside was not letting up. As I turned on the TV, the sirens started. My neighbor told us not too long ago that the sirens have only sounded twice in the past five years, so when they do it means something. Normally tornadoes don't phase me at all because I grew up in tornado valley it seemed. We always had tornado warnings as a kid and it was no big deal. The chances of a tornado actually hitting your house are pretty small unless you happen to be so lucky to be right in the path of one. Anyway, I feel very safe in Louisville because it is such a big city and the river and the interstates kind of protect us. The chances of a tornado landing on top of my house when there are a million other houses around is pretty slim. Plus I live in a brick home not a trailer, which makes a huge difference. Nonetheless, I felt a little panicked last night because it was the middle of the night which makes it harder to see the sky and Nathan was gone. I called Nathan to see if he thought I should wake up the kids to get them downstairs and of course he said no. We share that braveness when it comes to storms. I decided to take the kids to the basement anyway because I thought I should be extra cautious considering I was responsible for the safety of my children while Nathan was gone. I got the older two downstairs and then went back for Owen who was sound asleep. I almost decided that I was being silly and I shouldn't wake him because he had been up all night the night before with what I was afraid was RSV, but turned out to be an ear infection. He was finally sleeping and I was going to wake him up. It just didn't make sense, but I did it anyway.
Just as I opened the basement bedroom door, Ashleigh started throwing up in the bed. I had noticed she felt warm when I carried her downstairs, but she had thrown up the night before and was fine all day yesterday so I thought she was better. Sure enough, she was still sick. She was sick all night and is missing another day of school today. The worst part of it all was having to be closed in the basement bedroom with all three kids and vomit. There is just no getting away from it. I was trying to help Ashleigh while holding Owen who was very confused about the whole situation. I managed somehow to keep him away from the mess. I just hope he doesn't get sick next (or Trenton). When the storm finally passed I felt really silly for waking my kids up because nothing had happened outside. I then had to get Owen back to sleep while Ashleigh was throwing up every 15 minutes. Between all of that I was trying to wash bedding so that I didn't get buried in it. Needless to say, I haven't slept much lately.
Here is the positive side of this story. During all of this, I kept trying to think about what lesson I was supposed to learn because every trial has a purpose. Here are some of the things I learned:
1. Nathan is a big help even though I don't always realize it. Sometimes I only think about the visible things that need done like laundry, dishes, vacuuming, but there is so much more that needs done with the kids (not always visible) and he always does it.
2. Everyday laundry is a piece of cake compared to vomit soaked laundry :) I need to stop complaining so much about the never ending task of laundry.
3. I have three fabulous kids who are mine to protect.
4. Tornado warnings in Kentucky are ridiculous!
5. What matters at the end of the day is that my kids are safe and happy not how clean the house is or how much laundry I got done. That's a big one for me.
6. The tornado threat reminded me of the Wizard of Oz which reminded me that I still don't have Wicked tickets yet! Darn!
6 comments:
You are such a great sport!! I think about 1am when the sirens let up I would have completely lost it, if I were you!! I had the same thoughts as I woke up Madelyn, really do I NEED to do this. I figure it only takes once though for it to hit your house to be sorry. I would rather be safe than sorry.
Good luck on the laundry...
Oh my gosh! I thought my night was crummy, but it doesn't even hold a candle to yours! You poor lady. I can't believe your kids are sick. We were just there and they were fine! So far, mine are fine, hopefully they won't catch the bug too. And I'm glad you are so courageous to say that the tornado warnings here are ridiculous. I was frightened to death.
What a courageous woman. Way to go. You are brave. However I am usually glued to the TV when stuff like this is happening. Probably really DUMB. ANyhow no Tornado in Southern Utah. Thank Heavens.
Cathy, what a night! I'm sorry. I can relate to feeling that way whenever Jack is on call. And the kids situation is even more familiar. Good job on having a good attitude! I, too, am hoping to see Wicked soon!
Cathy, I'm sorry you ahd such a horrible night! Seems like when it rains it pours! I hope everyone is feeling better - and I hope the weather starts to let up soon! WHERE IS SPRING??? :o)
glad to hear everything turned out okay! mike always prayed he would see a tornado land in Louisville. He wanted to witness one first hand while we were there.
Post a Comment