Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween 2013

 We carved our pumpkins just a few days before Halloween.  Everyone designed their own pumpkin and Ashleigh and Owen used templates this year to make some pretty cool faces!

 Halloween night was pretty miserable.  Many of the townships around us postponed trick-or-treating to the next night, but ours didn't.  We managed to hit a couple of houses before the heavy rain started.  Once the rain started, we drove around in the van and the kids jumped out at each house.  We had invited two families over to trick-or-treat with us, so I had ten children piled into the back of my van (and we were minus Trenton and Dallin).  My friend joked that we looked like a clown car because once the van door opened at each house, a seemingly never-ending line of children filed out.  We had to do a head count after each house to keep track of everyone in the dark.  This is Owen in the creepy skeleton mask.

 Unfortunately, it was a bit of a crazy night for me with Nathan out of town, picking up Trenton from a study group, cooking dinner for our friends, and getting costumes together, which meant I was not able to fully accessorize the kid's costumes like we had planned.  Ashleigh's hair and makeup didn't get done, she grabbed the wrong shoes, and I couldn't find all the pumpkin candy bags.  Owen wore the wrong pants and shoes, but with the rain and craziness, no one seemed to notice all this except Mom.  We did our best and the children seemed to have fun and we now have more candy than we should ever eat.

 It was hard to get pictures once the rain started, so this is the best picture I got of Dallin.  No group picture this year.  Dallin decided to stay home with Trenton once the rain got heavy and his costume was soaked.  He didn't like wearing a wet costume, so he helped Trenton pass out candy in dry clothes instead.

 Earlier in the day, Dallin's preschool class celebrated Halloween with a costume party.  Here is his whole class.  These teachers were Owen's 3 year teachers too!  Dallin's best friend is the red M&M next to the angel teacher.

After class pictures, the kids went trick-or-treating around the whole church.  Dallin loved getting a bag filled with goodies, but wanted to be clear that he was going to get to take it home with him.  Another fabulous mommy moment happened after the trick-or-treating.  The kids were supposed to take off their costumes once we got back to the classroom because they were then going to have a normal rest of the school day so the mommies could leave for a little while.  Well, I didn't put any clothes on under Dallin's costume because it was a fairly warm day and his costume is thick.  As I was panicking about him having to go naked, I remembered his spare clothes in his cubby.  We were saved and I vowed to pay a little more attention to instructions next time.  I was the only Mom who didn't know they were going to have to take their costumes off.  Whew!  Gray hairs are coming!

No comments: