Sunday, November 23, 2008

Twilight

As you all know, I am a huge Twilight fan so I was determined to see the new movie on opening night. We planned a Girls Night Out and went out to dinner before catching a late night showing. We thought that by going late at night we would avoid the crowds. Boy, were we wrong! The theater was showing Twilight every half hour and every showing was completely sold out. Luckily, we were smart and bought our tickets well in advance or I would have been very disappointed. Even though we already had our tickets, we had to wait in line for an hour just to be seated in the theater. It was the craziest scene I have ever seen inside a movie theater. Once they opened the gate, everyone starting running to find a seat. I almost got into a fight over a section of seats that I was trying to reserve for our big group. Once the movie started, the crowd went crazy cheering, screaming, and whistling for a full minute. During the movie, the crowd screamed and cheered whenever Edward and Bella kissed.

Despite the craziness, I loved the movie. Many people are disappointed in it, but given the limited budget they had to make it I thought it was great. I loved how closely it followed the book. Yes, there were some subtle differences, but overall it was a close match. I knew exactly what was happening before it happened because I had read the book. At first I was so disappointed in Edward because I had built him up so much in my mind from reading Bella's perspective, but he grew on me as the movie continued. By the end, I was in love right along with Bella. I can't wait to see how much money it brought in this weekend. I am so happy for Stephenie. I am going to catch it again next weekend to support her...no, really just because I loved it and really want to see it again. What did you think of it?

6 comments:

Jessica Y. said...

Wow Cathy I didn't know you to be the elbow throwing type!! I wouldn't mess with you over twilight seats though! Joe was going to take me but we weren't able to get a sitter. I am anxious to go though....

prism said...

Wow - well, now I'm really glad I went to the Saturday matinee. No lines, great seat (because there were still some left with the group of women who went). No cheering, etc. I think some clapped after the film.

Anyway, I liked the film - I thought it was decent. I don't usually get upset about books being translated into film, because it's a totally different way to tell a story. Of course, you can't get the depth of the book in film, but I thought they did a good job, despite many reviews which leaned toward the negative. I don't really listen to those so often.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Ryan and Ashley said...

Considering the budget, I really liked it too. I wish that they would have been able to invest more into it, and that it had every detail (like Harry Potter--I mean, I know those movies are like 4 hours long, but it is worth it). I thought there were some cheesy parts, but I liked it. I also had the same feelings about Edward. It took me about half the movie to get over his voice and warm up to him, but once I did, I realized that I liked him. Overall, a good movie.

Crump Family said...

I'm a late comer to the Twilight scene. I didn't get around to reading the books until October (but that just means I didn't have to wait long until the movie came out). Steve was a good sport and went with me. I liked it, and I'm glad I went, but I didn't LOVE it. I was left wondering if someone who hadn't read the books would be able to make sense of why the two of them were so smitten with each other when they seemed so tense about the relationship for the majority of the movie. I would've liked Edward to come across a little more charming and a little less glowering/sullen. I thought the girl who played Bella's friend Jessica was perfect (ie the prom dress shopping scene).

All in all, it was fun to see the book brought to life and I'll probably go see the second one (which was my least favorite of the books - no shocker I'm sure. Wasn't everyone crushed when Edward leaves.)

I'm more likely to clamor to see the 3rd and 4th. Ahhh, a sucker for love...

Becky and Matt said...

Hi Cathy!
I loved the movie too. I thought it was great. My sister, Angie bought all of us sisters tickets to the midnight showing and it was quite the event...very memorable. The crowd was definitely into it. I want to take Matt to it and see what he thinks. I totally agree with you about what you thought about it, Edward grew on me too and I was glad that it followed the book so well. It was fun to see and I'm looking forward to seeing it again too!

kleinmanfamily said...

Hi Cathy!
I am glad that you loved the movie! I really enjoyed it. I went with my sister, on Friday night - at 9:50pm, We had bought our tickets on line, which was great, since they were sold out. Luckily we got a seat together. I thought that Edward was wonderful, especially by the end of the movie. I can't wait to see it again! but this time I am dragging Jarl with me!